Last updated : 03 April 2005 By Duke Of Galloway

Not Happy
Queens gained an emphatic victory over a disappointing Thistle side who have that relegation look about them. The game kicked of on a glorious spring afternoon in front of a healthy crowd which included a huge turnout from the visiting fans whose yellow and red colours made a marvelous specatcle. One group of Partick supporters even had their banner from Milan and were about to hang it up in the main stand only for the stewards to spoil the party and evict them to the visitors stand. The opening exchanges were very scrappy as both teams sounded eachother out. Any worries that Jim Thomson would be missed from the Queens defence were soon forgotten as his replacement David Craig soon got in about the Thistle attack showing early who was boss. Payne looked very lively for Queens on the right and with the midfield looking solid, McNiven and Lyle were making inroads into a rather unsure Maryhill defence. The visitors were being given tremendous encouragement from their huge away support but it was Queens who were dictating things and on form McNiven put them one up with a real strikers goal on 29 minutes. He pounced on an assist from Craig and found the net from close in. The home support burst into song spurned on by the drummer boy giving it welly. Thistle tried desperately to get back into the game but despite some long range efforts the Queens defence were holding firm with the outstanding Barnard providing a safe pair of hands at the back. Queens were well on top and it was no surprise when they went two up as Paton whipped in a tremendous drive on 35 minutes after an awkward cross from English caught the Thistle defence out. Thistle looked a beaten team at this stage and were fortunete not to go further behind before the break. Thistle's manager Campbell was seen bellowing at his team as they headed for their half-time cup of tea.

Half -Time Queens 2 Partick 0

Partick came out with all guns blazing in the second half and pushed more men up front. The Queens defence superbly organised by Brian Reid and ably backed by Craig and Barnard were in no mood to concede. The game was put almost beyond Thistle on 50 minutes when McNiven got his second goal. The burly striker calmly rolled the ball into the corner of the net as the Thistle keeper hesitated. It was more or less curtains for Thistle although McConologue broke free on 57 minutes to hammer the ball past Barnard to give the visitors some hope. It was not to be and Queens ran down time to finish comforatble winners and in fact could have had a couple more. The Palmy faithful were however happy and relishing the prospect of another year in Division 1. It was a thoroughly good all round team performance by Queens and Payne deservedly got man of the match. We have virtually assured 1st Division football next season and we have the building blocks for another successful campaign next season. Not wishing to sound negative but I thought the turnout by the home fans was rather disappointing. Iain Scott and his team desrve better.

McNiven slips in to put Queens ahead
Queens on the attack