Last updated : 09 January 2005 By Duke Of Galloway

Lyle scores for
A brilliant goal by Willie Gibson, his first for Queens,settled this cup tie at Links Park,Montrose where the home side fought to the end. After the Queens fans battled through storms all morning to get to the game it was a pleasant surprise to see the teams kick off in lovely sunshine on an almost perfect playing surface at Links Park. It was fairly obvious from the start that Montrose were not here just to make up the numbers and were causing Queens all sorts of problems with the strong wind playing a part. Queens however gradually settled with Gibson starting to weave his magic on the left. Bowey had a great chance to open the scoring but Butter in the home goal managed to block his shot. Gibson burst through and laid on a glorious chance for Burns but the youngster screwed his shot wide. At the other end the Gable Endies were thwarted as Wood cleared a goalbound shot from Smart off the line. Queens fans were becoming quite concerned as their favourites continued to spurn chances however all was forgiven on 42 minutes when Lyle latched on to a glorious McColligan pass to crash the ball high into the net much to the delight of the travelling support. Queens lead lasted about 3 minutes when the strangely out of touch Burns needlessly handled just inside the area and the referee awarded a penalty. Smart gleefully scored from the spot at the second attempt to light up Links Park and send Queens into the dressing room at halftime to face the wrath of manager Scott.

Half Time - Montose 1 Queens 1

Queens started in a more positive mood at the start of the second half but were still finding it difficult to break down a stubborn home rearguard. Montrose also fancied their chances and it took all the experience of Scott,Thomson and Craig to keep the Gable Endies at bay. On 50 minutes came the highlight of the game as Gibson met a cross on the full volley and the ball crashed into the roof of the net behind Butter. Gibson was mobbed by the Queens fans as they all tried to get a hand on his peroxide hair. This goal seemed to settle Queens and despite a few more anxious moments comfortably progressed to the next round. There were further opportunities to kill off Montrose with Lyle having the best chance shooting straight at Butter when clean through. Although this was not a great Queens performance they did enough to overcome a better than average Third Division side. Gibson had his best display in a Queens jersey and was a constant threat to the home side but Burns on the right was strangely subdued. The rest of the team turned in reasonable performances but it's fair to say they will have to play much better against Partick next week if we are to pick up any points. It was quite amazing the contrast in the weather when we arrived in Montrose. The Travel club bus had to battle through storms all morning with the Moffat road blocked with fallen trees. We were diverted on to a minor road which was also blocked but somehow the trees were removed from the road and we made to the M74. Despite all the problems I think around 200 made it to Montrose which was quite remrkable under the circumstances. As I said before this was not a great Queens performance and there is plenty of room for improvement at Firhill next week.

Derek Lyle sends Queens on the road to Hampden

Part of the large Doonhamer support

Lyle tests Butter in the home goal