Queens come up short at Tannadice

Last updated : 24 August 2017 By Queens Mad



Scott Fraser's second-half goal earned 10-man Dundee United victory over Queen of the South and put them top of the Championship.


Dundee United  2  Queen of the South 1

HT: 1-1

Scott McDonald gave United the lead at Tannadice when he tapped home Paul McMullan's cross from close range.

Queen of the South were level when Callum Fordyce slotted past Harry Lewis.

McMullan was sent off before half-time for raising his hands at Shaun Rooney, but Fraser won it for United.

The visitors began the game smartly and when Callum Tapping slipped in Stephen Dobbie after just three minutes they looked sure to take the lead, but the striker delayed his effort and the chance was gone.

United slowly eased their way into the game and took the lead when McMullan utilised his pace to great effect and evaded the challenge from the Queens defenders.

The winger's cross in from the left was inch perfect for McDonald to open his account for his new side.

The lead though lasted only seven minutes. The home defence failed to clear a free-kick played into the box and Fordyce pounced to fire home the equaliser from 12 yards out.

United winger McMullan was proving to be a real handful but a clash with Queens defender Rooney led to him being shown a red card by referee Nick Walsh.

McMullan lashed out with his arm after having his shirt tugged by Rooney. The Queens defender was shown a yellow card for his part in the incident.

Despite being down to 10 men it was the home side who managed to breakthrough for what proved to be the winner.

Billy King controlled the ball well on the edge of the box and played in substitute Fraser who fired the ball low beyond Alan Martin in the Queens goal.

Gary Naismiths side pushed hard for an equaliser and if Chris Kane, making his debut after his loan move from St Johnstone, had showed more composure when played through on goal by the impressive SDobbie the Doonhamers may have left Tannadice with a point in the bag.

Dundee United manager Ray McKinnon: It was difficult because we're down to 10 men for 60 minutes of the game, and on the back of three really big games - Dundee, Inverness, Dundee. The players, some still need a wee bit of fitness, I think the guys were magnificent today.

"I've not seen it (the red card). I've spoken to the player who says he's not punched him. The guy has rugby tackled him, and he says he's swung his arms around to get him off him. But the referee should have stopped it before anything happened, he should have dealt with that a lot better."



Fordyce on target for Queens


Kane has a go


Queens have good shout for penalty

Dundee Utd

  • 25Lewis
  • 2Murdoch
  • 14Edjenguele
  • 4Durnan
  • 17Robson
  • 7McMullanBooked at 36mins
  • 23FyvieSubstituted forBrielsat 79'minutes
  • 12Stanton
  • 11King
  • 8McDonaldSubstituted forFloodat 87'minutes
  • 19KeatingsSubstituted forFraserat 63'minutes


  • 5Quinn
  • 9Nkoyi
  • 10Fraser
  • 16Flood
  • 18Allardice
  • 20Briels
  • 21Mehmet

Queen of Sth

  • 1Martin
  • 2RooneyBooked at 36mins
  • 5BrownlieBooked at 28mins
  • 4Fordyce
  • 3Marshall
  • 14Jacobs
  • 8RankinBooked at 52mins
  • 6TappingSubstituted forCarmichaelat 57'minutes
  • 25DykesSubstituted forStirlingat 81'minutes
  • 9LyleSubstituted forKaneat 64'minutesBooked at 74mins
  • 11Dobbie


  • 7Stirling
  • 10Kane
  • 15Kerr
  • 17Murray
  • 20Leighfield
  • 21Carmichael
  • 24Mercer
Referee:Nick Walsh