Last updated : 20 February 2005 By Duke Of Galloway

Gary Wood takes
a sore one!
Queens turned in their best display in weeks and deservedly shared the points with league leaders Falkirk at Palmerston. Queens matched the Bairns in all departments and with a bit of luck could have secured three points if Lyle and Williams had converted two great chances towards the end.The Queens lineup had Falkirk confused from the start with Paton moving into midfield and Wood with a number nine on his shirt slotting in at right-back. Recent signing Lovell was also included and with Bowey and McColligan it looked a more solid midfield. Queens started brightly without achieving much in front of goal with several players getting in the way of eachother. Falkirk were also finding it hard to make openings with their main man Lapety well shackled by the Queens midfield. Nevertheless it was an interesting struggle with Queens giving Falkirk plenty of problems. The game took a dramatic turn on 35 minutes when Lyle and Hughes went for a long punt from Queens keeper Barnard. Lyle got there first and curled a beauty into the corner of the net to liven up Palmy. Hughes was not too pleased as he thought he was fouled but the referee did not agree and promply booked him. Falkirk knew they had a fight on their hands as Queens fought for every ball. Everything seemed to go through the talented Lapaty but Queens had done their homework and the wee magician was being repeatedly stifled. Falkirk had a couple of long range efforts before half-time but over the peice Barnard in the home goal had little to do.

HALF-TIME Queens 1 Falkirk 0

The game resumed in rather wintry conditions and Queens continued to thwart Falkirk and during a purple patch almost increased their lead. The Falkirk keeper was penalised for accepting a passback and awarded Queens a free-kick inside the penalty area. Paton blasted in the freekick with almost every Falkirk player guarding the goal. The ball was blocked but Paton met the rebound. Again the ball was blocked and Bowey hammered the rebound over the bar. Later Lyle had a free header which should have found the net but the Falkirk keeper saved on the line. Queens were made to pay for those misses as the Bairns grabbed an equaliser on 55 minutes. On play it was probably deserved but Queens will feel the goal could have been averted. Craig who had a rather uncomfortable afternoon was turned inside out by Falkirk's McKenzie on the right and his cross was met by Lawrie who sent a looping header into the corner of the net. It was a rather soft goal to loose considering how well Thomson and Reid had dominated the heart of the defence previously. It was now game on and the Bairns sensed victory but Queens refused to fold and continued to frustrate the visitors. McColligan was having a blinder in the middle of the park and with Bowey driving up field Queens were always in with a chance. Queens had the chance to record a famous victory towards the end when Williams screwed a reasonble chance past the post but by that time most punters had settled for a draw. This Queens performance was a vast improvement compared with previous weeks and the old passion has returned. There are still problems up front but the midfield and defence looked solid and never gave Falkirk any space. Lovell had a quiet game but his influence was obvious and the players around him responded well with McColligan having an outstanding game. We want more of the same in the next two home matches and hopefully we can secure the points to stay clear of the dreaded drop zone. A word about the attendance. In one word disappointing but not surprising as most of the 3,000 floating fans got a real sickener at the Dundee United cup-tie. One wonders however if Queens had been able to field yesterdays team against the Taysiders - would the result have been different ?

The Bairns guard their goal

Late wintry conditions at Palmy