Rough Justice For Queens

Last updated : 07 December 2014 By Queens Mad



The stadium announcer at Tynecastle proudly proclaimed prior to kick-off that Hearts were now the only side in Britain to hold an unbeaten league record after Chelsea were condemned to their first loss in the lunch-time clash at Newcastle.

But, in truth, the Doonhamers produced a performance - particularly in the second half, that had the Hearts supporters fearing their team could at least surrender their flawless record in Gorgie.

After Iain Russell converted a 56th-minute penalty to cancel out James Keatings' sublime opener, Hearts were on the ropes and had goalkeeper Neil Alexander to thank for keeping out a Chris Higgins header.

But in what appears to be the true mark of champions Hearts weathered the storm before rallying with goals from Danny Wilson, Prince Buaben, who atoned for a first half penalty miss, and Adam Eckersley.

"I always knew it was going to be difficult," said Hearts head coach Robbie Neilson.

"I thought in the second half Queens did really well, it was probably the best performance an away team has had against us this season. We managed to stay strong and got the second goal. It's a great win for us."

Captain Wilson shares Neilson's sentiments. "I thought we dug deep, but the boys showed great character to get the three points," said the centre-half.

After a bright start, Hearts stormed ahead with a Keatings strike in the 19th minute.

Wilson's long pass was flicked on and the former Hamilton player looped a fine half-volley over goalkeeper Zander Clark from an angle inside the area.

Hearts moved up a gear and Callum Paterson had a left-footed strike pushed wide by Clark.

The home side waived a chance to create a two-goal cushion when Buaben slammed a penalty off the outer side of the post after Paterson was bundled over by Andy Dowie at a Keatings corner.

But Hearts charged again. Jamie Walker beat Clark with a low shot inside the box following a piercing run, but his effort was cleared by the covering Mark Durnan.

Queens had their tails up following the break and after Ian McShane had two efforts from outside the area saved by Alexander, James Fowler's side levelled in the 56th minute through Russell's penalty. Hearts were furious with referee Craig Charleston's decision - Walker thought he had won the ball from McShane and that any foul had taken place outside the area.

Russell was not caring and he powered a shot past Alexander into the corner of the net.

Alexander was involved again in the 64th minute to keep out the aforementioned Higgins.

But Hearts retook the lead in the 67th minute through Wilson, although the Hearts captain did not know much about it as a Keatings' corner bounced up to strike him on the head.

Queens substitute Derek Lyle came within inches of levelling with a half-volley that fizzed just over.

Hearts added a killer third in the 76th minute as Buaben made up for his penalty miss with a well-struck shot from an angle inside the area after accepting Walker's pass. And Eckersely rounded off the scoring with a finish from 15 yards after being teed up by Billy King.

Queens player/manager James Fowler said: "The scoreline is a bit tough to take. We started well in the second half, dominated the game and got the goal back.

"You could hear the fans getting restless after we scored so we have to take confidence from that as well."

The scoreline certainly flatters Hearts as Queens were well in the game until the home team got a huge break with their second and decisive goal.

Next week's fixture against struggling Rangers at Palmerston should be interesting.



Images courtesy of