South And East Midweek Roundup

Last updated : 26 August 2010 By QUEENS MAD



CREE LODGE CUP West 2nd Round

St Cuthberts 3 Stranraer 2

East 2nd Round

Dalbeattie Star 0 Threave Rovers 2

Crichton 3 Nithsdale Wanderers 1


Fleet Star 2 Creetown 1

Heston Rovers 0 Mid Annandale 4

Newton Stewart 2 Wigtown 1


CENTRAL TAXIS Premier League

Edinburgh City 0 Stirling Uni 2

Heriot-Watt Uni 0 Tynecastle 2

Lothian Thistle 3 Preston Athletic 2

Spartans 2 Vale of Leithen 0


A STOPPAGE time header from Stevie Brown put St Cuthbert Wanderers into the West section semi-final of the Cree Lodge Cup. Saints beat Stranraer 3-2 despite trailing 2-0 with only 20 minutes left.

They will meet Wigtown next month but they had to fight to the bitter end after Stranraer went ahead in six minutes when Stuart McColm found the net. Then in the 70th minute Ian Millar scored with a 20-yard free kick.

Saints fought back after this and Gary Redpath brought then back into the game with a left foot drive from the edge of the box. Craig Rudd hit the equaliser five minutes from time and then Brown headed home the winer in the second minute of stoppage time.

In the East section Threave Rovers beat Dalbeattie Star 2-0 to book their place in the semi-final against Crichton who defeated Nithsdale Wanderers 3-1.

Both sides had chances and Star had a goal chalked off but it fell to former Star striker Paul Cook to open the scoring when he fired home from close-in. Then 10 minutes from time Sean Milligan, another ex-Star player scored number two.

CRICHTON earned their place with a 3-1 win over Nithsdale. Ross Beattie opened the scoring in the 32nd minute and then Davie Thomson added number two, ten minutes after the interval. His shot10 minutes later was deflected into the net and then five minutes from time Geoff Patterson scored from a penalty for Wanderers.

In the South of Scotland League Fleet Star got their first win of the season by beating Creetown 2-1 in the shock of the night. Jordan Page put Star ahead in the 10th minute when he turned in a Stewart Currie cross but three minutes into the second half Darren Agnew equalised with a 15 yarder. Then in the 53rd minute Calum Wilson scored the goal of the game with a 25 yarder.

Mid Annandale beat Heston Rovers 4-0 with Carlos Crosbie hitting the opener in 18 minutes when he followed up a Chris Norvel shot. Nathan Muir hit two for Mids in the 30th and 57th minutes to put them on easy street and in the 70th minute Darren Notman added number four.

Newton Stewart beat Wigtown 2-1 thanks to a Taylor goal ten minutes from time to get revenge for a big 6-2 defeat last week.