South And East Roundup

Last updated : 27 September 2010 By QUEENS MAD


IT was a good day for many of the South and East of Scotland clubs as they fought out Scottish Cup 1st round ties.

In the South all the teams, Dalbeattie Star, Wigtown, Newton Stewart and St Cuthbert Wanderers will go into the hat along with Threave Rovers for the 2nd round draw.#

Star and Wigtown are through after wins against East of Scotland sides and Newton and Saints live to fight again on Saturday in replays after gutsy performances.


STAR are into the second round but they made if difficult for themselves after scoring twice in the opening 17 miinutes.

Sean Milligan should have put them ahead in two minutes when he rounded Albert keeper Willie Turner but hit the post from close range.

But two minutes later he was involved in the build up for the opener when his cross was headed home by Nikki White.

In 17 minutes Milligan shot through the Hawick defensive wall to Jak Dingwall who hammered a low shot into the net from 12 yards

Star had chances galore but couldn't finish and it was the 89th minute before Milligan had a great run on the left, cut in and fired in a 10 yard shot high into the net.


FORRES had the match sewn up in the first half hour when they hit the net three times.

The Highland League side was just too strong for the East Division 1 outfit who fought gallantly in the second half to try and get back into the game.

Kyle Scott was the Forres hero with two goals as they dominated the opening spell.

The Streamers had a several chances early in the second half and John Crawford came close with a drive from 25 yards on the hour mark.

And it was Crawford who pulled one back for the home 10 minutes from time when he rose for a corner to head home.


WIGTOWN manager Micky Dougan was celebrating his first ever Scottish Cup win - as player and manager.

He was 'over the moon' after they edged out Strollers with a penalty three minutes from time

They had to fight back after Strollers took the lead with a Craig Dickson goal five minutes before the turn.

But it was sub Alan Murdoch who came on at the interval which made the difference. He hammered in the equaliser in 55 minutes and then Adam Dougan was pulled down in the box in the 87th minute and Stewart Cluckie sent the visiting fans into celebrations when he fired home spot kick.


RANGERS forced a replay with an equaliser late into stoppage time.

The Scholars took the lead in the 15th minute with a shot from Colin Cameron and they continued to force the pace to the interval.

But then in 59 minutes Nigel Mackenzie burst through to fire home the equaliser and they almost went further ahead four minutes later when Danny Mackay's shot was just off target.

But the home side got stuck in and Benjiman Antoni drilled the ball into the net with a minute late.

Then there was drama in the 93rd minute Mackay broke through and got the equaliser for Rangers.


THE Highlanders were dumped out of the cup by a goal five minutes from time.

It was a day when defences were on top for much of the time.

Ross Guthrie almost put the City side into the lead in the 54th minute when he had a great shot just inches past the post.;

Then with time running out City mounted a late challenge and were rewarded when their Spanish signing Jorge Vinnelli crowned a fine game with a tremendous 35 yard shot which sailed into the net.

Join manager Gary Jardine said: "This was a tremendous win for us and everyone here is delighted. It was a tremendous goal and well worthy of winning a cup tie.

"I think we deserved it in the end for a few chances went a-begging."


The goals came in the opening spell of a tough cup tie but the sides will have to fight it out again next week.

Newton were shocked when Preston got an 8th minute penalty which they hotly disputed but Stuart Miller fired home the spot kick.

And two minutes later Preston had another penalty claim turned down.

But Newton came back and Stewart Beggs sent over a corner in the 12th minute which Sean Taylor powered into the net for the equaliser.

Beggs had a chance with a 54th minute shot and near the end a Miller had a header off the bar as Preston went all out in the dying minutes.


SAINTS gaffer Jim McCrossan slammed his side after throwing away a 2-1 lead with only 10 minutes to go.

For Saints had to score a 94th minute equaliser to force a replay this weekend at Kirkcudbright.

McCrossan said: "I'm pleased that we got a draw in the end. But I'm not happy that we were two with seven minutes to go and in control of the game.

"Then we lost two goals and it was only a desperate effort at the end that got us a replay. I thought we were the better team on the day and I think they were surprised at our performance.

"We know that it will be a tough match next week and they are really a good side."

Gary King shot Saints into the lead in the 33rd minute from a free kick but Graham Johnston equalised for the home side in the 66th minute.

Then John Gault put Saints back in command with a 70th minute strike and they should have been comfortable when Fraserburgh had Gavin Wemyss went off in the 90th minute.
But the 10-man home side came fighting back and Dane Ballard and Johnston scored twice in the 83rd and 85th minutes to set up a grandstand finish.

Then in the fourth minute of stoppage time Gary Redpath got the vital goal from a header to force a replay at St Mary's Park.


Fleet Star got their third win of the season against a tough Nithsdale team but it wasnt until the 88th minute the deadlock was broken when Callum Wilson out jumped the Nithsdale defence to
headed home after a David McKie corner.
Threave Rovers beat Abbey Vale 6-2 thanks to a hatrick from Andrew Donnelly. Threave Took the lead in the 20th minute when Donnelly shot home from inside the box, Paul cook made it 2-0 before the break. Donnelly grabbed his second goal in the 64th, then Donnelly completed his hat-trick a minute later with a tap in from two yards.
In the 80th minute Shaun Milligan made it 5-0 before Cameron pulled a goal back for Abbey Vale in the 85th minute with a shot from just outside the box and Danny Dungalson scored Threave's sixth when he waltzed through the Abbey defence and with the last kick of the game Paul Neil scored for abbey with a screamer from 35yards to make it 6-2 for Threave.
Heston Rovers eased to a 2-1 win over Creetown thanks to first half goals from Magee and Walker. Magee shot home from 6yards in the 15th minute to open the scoring before Creetown drew level five minutes later and in the 30th minute Steven Walker was clean through with the goalie to beat Walker rounded Creetown's goalie to score both teams created chance late on but Heston held on for the victory.
Mid Annandale beat Crichton 4-2 with Bell and Norwell scoring before the turn to go in 2-1 up. Muir made it 3-1 to Mids in the 50th minute and in the 53rd Muir grabbed his second of the game. Ten minutes from time Crichton grabbed a late goal.

RESULTS: Saturday September 25, 2010


Abbey Vale2 Threave Rovers 6

Heston Rovers 2 Creetown 1

Mid Annandale 4 Crichton 2

Nithsdale Wanderers 0 Fleet Star 1

South Results

Abbey Vale 2 Threave Rovers6
Heston Rovers 2 Creetown 1
Mid Annandale 4 Crichton 2
Nithsdale Wanderers 0 Fleet Star 1


CENTRAL TAXIS Premier League

Heriot-Watt 0-3 Spartans


Berwick Rangers 3-1 Craigroyston
Eyemouth United 1-1 Kelso United

ALEX JACK Cup 2nd Round

Stirling Uni 3-2 Leith Athletic (AET)
Tynecastle 3-0 Peebles Rovers
Lothian Thistle 1-0 Ormiston
Gretna 2-1 Easthouses Lily

The draw for the semi-finals is

Tynecastle v Stirling

Lothian Thistle v Gretna
(ties scheduled for Saturday 23rd October 2010)


SPARTANS co-manager Mike Lawson was delighted with a 3-0 win which lifted them to the top of the East Premier League.

And he praised super sub Jack Beesley who came on and sparked life into the side five after coming on.

Despite playing with 10 men after Dom Samuel was red carded after 15 minutes, Heriot-Watt Uni held the champions until the hour mark.

After Beesley's strike it was the last 10 minutes before Keith McLeod and Ross Archibald eased the pressure.

Lawson said: "Jack's is just coming back from injury and we were keen to test him.

"He proved his worth and his delightful chipped goal relaxed the whole team. The students put up a lot of fight and it wasn't until the last few minutes that we looked comfortable winners."

He added: "I'm delighted with the three points being top of the league. I'm also delighted with our defence which is much tighter this season and out of six league games we've only lost two goals. Last season we lost three goals in our first match.

Courtesy of